Important Legal Information About Non-Ferrous Scrap Metal Recycling

(Engrossed Substitute Senate Bill 5312 &ENGROSSED SUBSTITUTE HOUSE BILL 1552)

Details on the Scrap Metal Recycling Law House Bill 1552.

  • Each time you bring a load of non-ferrous scrap metal to EH Metal Recycling for recycling, you must have government issued photo ID. This includes a current (not expired) driver’s license, identification card or passport. Check the status of your driver’s license or ID to see if it is valid at
  • Anyone selling non-ferrous scrap metal must be at least 18 years of age.
  • For each transaction we will also record your current street address and phone number and obtain your signature swearing that the metals you are selling are not stolen.
  • We will be grading all of your metals for purchase or none at all. After it has been weighed we are not able to give partial loads back so that you may be paid in cash.
  • We do not accept punched or damaged IDs
  • If your ID is not valid, we cannot buy your metals. To check to see if your ID is valid
  • If the total value of the metals you bring in equals $30 or more a check will be given to you at time of transaction. This rule doesn’t always apply to business customers (See Below).
  • If the total value of the metals your bring in is less than $30 you will be paid cash. You will not be paid “cash” more than once per day on non-ferrous scrap metal.
  • We are not able to purchase wire that has been burnt unless you have proof of a “legal burn.
  • We are not able to buy kegs except from breweries or keg manufacturers.

  • We do not buy Vehicle, Trailers or Titled Items.
  • We do not except Refrigerators or Air Conditioners.
  • We are not able to buy irrigation wheels, pipes, or sprinkler heads unless you are associated with a business or can provide written documentation that you are the legal owner of the property.
  • We don’t except TV’s or items containing Mercury.

Exceptions for Business Customers

  • If your business handles non-ferrous scrap metals and brings them in for recycling, we are able to pay you cash after the appropriate paperwork is on file.

  • We have a form for business customers which must be filled out by the business owner. The form requires general company information and must be accompanied by a copy of your business license, either presented in person or faxed to us. We also must keep a record of all employees that are authorized to deliver scrap metals on the company’s behalf, as well as their vehicle description and vehicle license plate number.

  • After this paperwork is on file, we are able to pay cash to any employee on file for the company. The person selling the metal must bring a valid government issued picture ID and sign our form saying that the metals are not stolen.

  • If you do not currently have a business license and you are interested in obtaining one, you can visit this website to find out how to get started: